Crabs Vs Birds Round 1 - 13th April 2021 - Development Notes
Thought it would be good to start posting small updates on what I'm doing on the day to day for the games development.
13th April 2021
- The Crabs and the birds can do damage to each other.
- Crabs and Birds can now die.
- The birds can now eat dead crabs.
- All bird AI behaviors and actions are implemented at a basic level.
- Most Crab AI Behavior is implemented (Just needs eating).
- The player can now eat dead mobs.
- The player Character 'Baby Dino' is now aware of the concept of death, they just completely ignore it's implications.
- I have improved the damage system so creatures can directly apply injury.
- Crabs can now continue to attack when latched onto something.
- Birds will be slow to leave if caught eating.
- Health bar and hunting bar are now visible.
- The bird and crab actions are almost all there, but the decision making is messy, I need to pick their brains, clean things up and generalize systems.
- Bird take off needs to be clamped to reduce extreme heights.
- Need to make a 'Mob Brain Update Manager', that will handle spreading the updating of decision making for mobs over multiple frames to prevent freezes and lags.
- Persistent Collision based damage is unreliable, I’ll be swapping it out for basic fall detection, and just have the dino tail apply damage based on its general speed on impact.
- Biting near a mob should have some level of auto aim.
- The Baby dinos controls and movements needs to be updated to handle hunting the smaller mobs.
Basic summary, watching the crabs latching onto birds is funny, and now I can see how the starting AI is acting around each other, I need to clean up their code so I can use it as a baseline for the later game Mob AIs. After the AI is cleaned up, I should look into improving the Player so they can handle said AI better.
Get Days With Dino
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.